Sunday, November 23, 2014

pumpkin pie rolls



So cinnamon rolls.  They're good, huh?  I mean, has anyone ever survived getting weak in the knees just smelling Cinnabon?  You can imagine we don't eat a whole lot of cinnamon rolls in our house, with a dairy allergy.  But I'm determined to make some good ones this holiday season.

Now that I've got you thinking about cinnamon rolls, I'll tell you these are not cinnamon rolls.  Because it's fall, and we've got so little pumpkin devouring time left, I thought I'd throw you one more pumpkin recipe.  Dude!  I'm on a roll with breakfast breads.  Will your hips ever forgive me?


Ok, I have a confession to make.  I tossed all of those ingredients into my breadmaker and let it go until it was dough that has risen.  If you don't have one, just throw everything into a mixing bowl and mix until combined then let rise for 45 minutes.  Roll out into a large rectangle and let rise for about 15 more minutes on your countertop while you mix the filling.




Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Mix all filling, except butter, and then spoon out onto the rolled dough.  Get it good!  Then roll it up as tight as you can, which won't be very tight.  Make it a nice log, and then slice into 9 pieces.  It's going to be sloppy and messy, but that's ok.  I used a cast iron skillet for baking, you can use any deep walled baking dish.  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.  While that's baking, melt the butter.  When 10 minutes has passed, pull out the rolls and pour the butter over the top.  Why?  I don't know, I find that it lets the butter flavor really get in there better and keeps things from being too wet. 


While you're waiting for your rolls to bake, can I just show you something?  To prove that I truly don't know what I'm doing as a human adult?  This is my rolling pin.  


Ok, are you done shaming me now?  It should be time to pull your rolls out of the oven.  Let them cool in the pan while you make the topping...a buttercream that tastes enough like cream cheese that you'll never realize it isn't as it's melting all over these amazing pumpkin rolls.  I mean, yeah, maybe they're dessert...but can't we eat them for breakfast too? 



To make the butter cream, whip the butter by itself (we use Smart Balance Light with Flaxseed Oil) in standing mixer for a few minutes until it's nice and glossy.  Then add powdered sugar, in 1/2 cup intervals.  Whip together for about 5 minutes, add a little salt and vanilla if you wish.  Then you'll want to put it in a jar and, ideally, let it sit over night.  Then whip it again while its cold, which will make it divine.  But for the sake of this recipe?  Well for you, I dug in right away.  You're welcome!  (Looks like someone else wanted me to break the rules and eat one right away too.)



No comments:

Post a Comment