Tuesday, November 25, 2014

bacon fat chocolate chip cookies





Ok guys, it's cookie time.  Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies, but they're hard, right?  I mean, you have to try so many different tricks just to get them how you want them.  Crisp or moist?  Chewy or crunchy?  Do you want them big or small, fat or flat?  Oh man!  Chocolate chip cookies are such a science, and such a test of personality more than anything.  I like mine flat and chewy, underbaked as much as can be.  Thankfully I married someone who was likeminded, and my kids don't really have a preference yet as long as its sweet.  Let me tell you the beauty of these cookies (because I baked them 3 different ways with the same batch of cookie dough, just for you), they will turn out beautiful no matter how you prefer them!  I baked some little round fatties, delish.  I baked some flat ones with crispy edges and a super chewy middle, perfect.  I baked some perfectly shaped, slightly crispy ones?  Yum.  All around!

But there's a catch, and you need to not be afraid of it.  Bacon fat.  Do you keep it when you cook bacon?  I do.  Old school, perhaps, but it's very useful.  It's so good if you cook up some breakfast potatoes in it.  Use it in place of butter when you roast a chicken or any meat, for that matter.  I know, I know, but it's bacon.  It'll take the place of salt in your dish, too.  It adds complexity and depth.  And when added to these cookies?  Forget it.  You may never go back.  It's not overpowering, it's not the only fat you're using here, or even the most prominent, but I promise it will add something you never knew you were missing.  If you don't have any, you can make these with an extra tablespoon of salted butter, but you'll be missing out.  You have been forewarned.





Cream your butter (we use Smart Balance Light with Flaxseed Oil, it's dairy free), coconut oil, bacon fat, brown sugar and granulated sugar together until smooth and light.  For the egg replacer "eggs", let me tell you, I wing it.  I know, I know.  What I did here was take 2 tsp of Ener-G Egg Replacer and mix with 4 tbsp of warm water, then whisk until frothy.  You don't want to do this too far in advance, it activates quickly so you want to add it to your mixture pretty quick after you've gotten it ready.  Add it in slowly to combine.  Then add a spash (or two...) of vanilla.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.  Once it's all combined, it will be a sort of greasy looking dough.  That's ok.  The cookies will not turn out greasy I promise.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  If you're looking for vegan/allergy friendly, you can't do much better than Enjoy Life chocolate chips.  They taste amazing, and their facility is well reputed for having great cross-contamination avoidance.



Heat your oven to 375.  Drop dough in spoonfuls onto a baking sheet in whatever size/shape you desire.  Like I said earlier, this is not a picky recipe.  If you like them flatter, make them smaller and flatten them out.  They'll melt a little, but they won't go over board.

Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes.  Most of mine I baked to 8 minutes, because I like mine underbaked.  9 minutes will put a nice golden brown around the edges, and 10 minutes will give you some crunch.

Oh, and if you eat this cookie dough?  There's no eggs, so no rules.  *Wink Wink*  Ok, there are still rules, but sometimes I just like to throw caution to the wind.







No comments:

Post a Comment