Friday, November 21, 2014

french toast



Raise your hands...how many of you can't (or won't) eat eggs, and have also not had the pleasure of french toast recently or ever?  Let me just tell you, french toast is one of my absolute favorite meals in all the land.  I craved it like WOAH both times I was pregnant.  Living without it has been tough for me!  But you know what made it worse?  Knowing that Nikola hadn't even TRIED the glory that is french toast!  I mean...come on! 

I've tried a ton of vegan recipes, and all have been less than wonderful.  They just didn't have that texture, that flavor, that decadence.  Most left the bread overly mushy, no crisp edges in sight.  I mean, who wants mushy, gummy bread?  Not me, that's for sure.  French toast is as much about the texture as it is about the flavor. 

Then I hit the jackpot.  And it's so SIMPLE you guys.  No fancy ingredients, no trip to the health food store. You already have everything you need in your pantry I'm sure! 


Add all ingredients (except bread, of course) in a bowl and whisk until a frothy, thin batter forms.   Heat up a non-stick skillet or griddle, add a small amount of oil to grease it up, and get your spatula ready.  Once your skillet is heated up, dip one piece of bread in and get it covered on both sides.  Throw that baby on the skillet and watch it fry up.


It takes about 2 minutes per side, sometimes more.  It's hard to screw it up, so if you flip it too soon, just let it go a while and flip it back.


When both sides look like this, you're done!  This recipe makes enough batter for about 8 pieces of toast.  Look at those crispy bits on the edge!  Who needs eggs?  Dive in!  Save some for me, ok?  I'll be over in 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment