Saturday, November 22, 2014

abelskiver wafffles with blackberry amaretto sauce



So, our 8 year wedding anniversary was last month.  I wanted to make a special breakfast, and because I'm creepy, I did just that.  Creepy?  Well, my memory is creepy.  I can't remember when I last took a shower sometimes (ahh, the glamorous life of a stay at home mom) but I can remember exactly what we ate for breakfast the morning after our wedding.  We went to The Old European restaurant, and of course we ate Danish Abelskivers.  Oh, YUM.  I dream of these.  Are you noticing a trend here?  I like breakfast food.  And what's more, I like breakfast items that resemble CAKE.  I want to eat cake for breakfast on the regular, man.

So, abelskivers.  They're fluffy little balls of pancake, basically.  I don't own an abelskiver pan, and I wouldn't know how to use it if I did.  But you know what I do own?  A waffle maker.  So I improvised!  There is very little about the batter itself that is different, just a few spices that kick up the flavor a little, it's really about the sauce you dip it in.  First make that. (Sorry, I didn't take any photos, but it is so quick and easy.)

For the sauce, I used 2 cups of frozen blackberries, 1 cup of sugar (I know, I know, but it's a syrup), 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of Amaretto.  Bring to a boil, dissolve the sugar, and taste.  If it's not sweet enough, add more sugar.  For us, this was just right.  Then let it cool, and once it is cool, blend it into a nice smooth sauce/syrup for dipping.

Now the waffles!


Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth, or throw it in the blender if you want.  I like to blend my pancake and waffle batter, it makes for such a smooth and luxurious texture!  Then cook according to your waffle maker's instructions.  Mine is a Belgian waffle maker, so it takes about 5 minutes to make these big ol things.  But just look at them!


Dust with powdered sugar, and serve with crispy potatoes and sausage.  Dip your bites into the blackberry amaretto sauce.  It's a restaurant style breakfast at home!  My mouth is watering now.



No comments:

Post a Comment