Thursday, December 18, 2014

swai fillet with rice pilaf and steamed veggies



I feel like I've been baking day and night lately.  It might be the holidays, it might be adjusting to staying home all day, I'm not sure.  But I feel like I'm swimming in a sea of flour, sugar and measuring cups.  Let's take a little detour for a minute, ok?  I try to feed my family healthy dishes that are not lacking in flavor.  Because of Nik's allergies, we have to get creative often.  Thankfully, the kids both like fish quite a bit, so it's a protein I enjoy cooking with.  Buying fish can be scary, there are so many varying opinions on which fish to eat and which to avoid.  I can't keep up.  Anyway.  This dish was so simple, I threw it together in 30 minutes.  I had Swai on hand, which is a variety of catfish, so it's just a really light, slightly sweet white fish.  You could use any white fish you may have on hand. 


For the rice pilaf, I toasted the orzo and rice in a cast iron skillet for a few minutes, tossing it every so often.  Once it was a golden brown, I put it into my slow cooker with chicken broth, a small amount of chicken fat (yeah, I keep the fat that renders out when I make stock, it has great flavor), some herbs, salt and pepper.  Then I let my rice cooker do it's thing.


Then I took my Swai fillets, put them into my baking dish and drizzled them with olive oil and lemon juice.  Then I sliced up 3 cloves of garlic, dashed some parsley on top, and baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. 

I piled the rice and fish on top of steamed veggies, and done!  Simple, healthy, inexpensive.  YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment