Tuesday, December 16, 2014

cornbread


Let's talk about cornbread for a minute.  It's one of my favorites.  You too?  Some people love it, some people totally hate it.  I know some of these people.  I get it.  But not really, because it's so good. 

So, I adapted this cornbread from this Paula Deen recipe.  I mean, ok, Paula Deen.  Let's not talk about that, ok?  Let's keep this about the food here.  Obviously I couldn't use the recipe as is, so I modified it, and for the first time in FOREVER (great, now I'm singing 'Frozen' jams in my head) the whole dish disappeared by the next day. 

My modifications were totally simple, too.  I try to keep things uncomplicated.  Instead of butter, I used sunflower oil, because Alton Brown says to use oil instead of butter in cakes so I figured he would approve.  I used my chia seed concoction for the 2 eggs, I'm sure you can tell from the photo.  (2 T chia seeds, 6 T water, in case you missed my previous post.)  Last, I of course couldn't use buttermilk, so I created my own.  I used 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (the kind you would pour on cereal, not the kind from a can) and added a splash of distilled white vinegar to it and let it sit for about 5 minutes on the counter.  Ba-da-bing. 

So the verdict?  It was fantastic.  It wasn't sweet at all (if you look at the recipe, it called for very little sugar), so it was totally the kind that you slather in butter and honey.  We're having chilli for a family Christmas party this weekend and I'm tempted to make another batch just in time for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment