Friday, December 12, 2014

carrot coconut soup



We came home from Thanksgiving with a few huge bags of carrots, and I'm still trying to make my way through them.  I decided I would either need to start juicing them, or make a big pot of carrot soup.  The soup won.

I was inspired by this amazing soup by Shutterbean, one of my favorite bloggers.  She's totally amazing.  You can go there for the recipe, I'm just here to tell you how I put my spin on it, and managed to get a 4 year old and a 3 year old to not only eat it, but eat TWO helpings of it.

I used olive oil, in place of the butter, and vegetable broth (hello, I made three batches the other day...use what you have) instead of chicken broth.  As a bonus, I used the 3rd batch of the broth, which was a little weak...until I added ginger and whole garlic, so this had a very Thai taste just using the broth.  I added a pinch of cumin and a pinch of cinnamon, very tiny amounts.  We omitted the cilantro, though we do all like it, but I didn't have any on hand.  To get that "green" flavor, I added about 2 tablespoons of lime juice and a lime leaf (we buy ours at the Asian markets and keep them in the freezer, we like to eat a lot of curries) and let it all sit in the slow cooker on low heat until I was ready to serve.  You guys?  It tasted almost like a Thai panang curry, without any curry in it whatsoever. 

So, first we ate it as a soup with some croutons I made out of the ends of the loaf of bread I made earlier this week.  It was totally amazing.  And then Aaron said "Mommy, can I have rice with this?"  YES YOU CAN.  So I let them take an intermission from dinner, tossed some rice in the rice cooker, then served seconds over rice like a curry.  I can't even decide how I liked it better.  You make it and decide.  It's amazing either way!


No comments:

Post a Comment