Wednesday, October 22, 2014

zombie party party!

I love a good party.  I even love a bad party, if it gives me something to talk about!  I just love parties.  A passion of mine, since having a child with allergies, is creating and hosting parties with awesome food and awesome desserts that are safe for everyone.  In this day and age, food allergies are so prevalent in children and adults, but that should totally not stop us from partying like it's 1999.  I'm going to start sharing some parties I've thrown over the years, and I hope that you come away either feeling inspired, or got a good chuckle out of it.  Whatever butters your toast! 

Today I'm sharing a very small party we threw for one of our host daughters, Nozomi.  She turned 20 during her stay with us, and we needed to celebrate.  20 is a pretty darn big deal in Japan!  Aaron couldn't pronounce her name, so he called her "No Zombie", and it stuck.  I took it and ran with it!  Who says a zombie themed birthday party can't be cute? 


For the bunting, I took origami paper and created mini flags.  I then went totally insane and freehand cut out the letters for her name, glued them to the flags, and sent her home with it. 

For the cake topper, I once again freehand cut a zombie out of heavy black card stock and hot glued it to two toothpicks.  Have you ever tried to freehand a zombie with scissors?  Don't be like me.  Draw it first please. 

The cake was a simple vegan vanilla cake, one layer, with frosting from a can.  Because I'm classy.  And because we had planned this party for a different day, and then plans had to suddenly change and so I got off work and rushed home to frost the cake as quickly as I could.  A homemade frosting would have been better, but you know what?  It was delicious anyway, and most store bought vanilla frosting-in-a-can is safe for Nikola so he got to enjoy some cake.  I chose the red inside and green outside because I wanted a cartoon-ish zombie feel and I think it was achieved. 

So there you have it.  A really simple birthday party, thrown together in almost no time, but filled with personalized touches.  We love Nozombie and I think it shows.  Party on Wayne!

No comments:

Post a Comment