Monday, October 20, 2014

pumpkin pancakes

Well, it's fall.  And like the rest of the universe, I love myself some pumpkin.  But I'm not someone who will put pumpkin in everything, there are just some places where pumpkin should never go in my opinion.  But pancakes, well that's just a match made in heaven.  As long as it's done right!  And not to toot my own horn here, but I do them right.  If you get too little pumpkin, you just have orange pancakes.  If you get too much, they're soggy and heavy.  You want a pancake that makes you dream of pumpkin pie.  Fluffy, rich pumpkin pie. 

Because we can't use eggs, I like to use Bisquick for pancakes most of the time.  The mix helps create really fluffy pancakes in spite of the lack of eggs.  I have yet to find a really fluffy pancake recipe using an egg replacer that doesn't require a lot of extra ingredients and work.  On weekday mornings, and when feeding two littles who take breakfast very seriously, time is of the essence. 

Here's what I used:








Add roughly 2 cups of coconut milk (or your favorite milk) to the mix.  Start with one cup, mix, and add up to the 2nd cup as needed.  It should be thick but soupy.  Once that's mixed together, I throw about 1 T of chia seeds into the mix and let it sit for just a minute to activate them.  You could soak them in water as well, but for this recipe I find that it makes the batter too thin.  Then I throw it into the blender and make it smooth, because who wants lumpy pancakes?  (Remember when Rick is smack talking Lori on The Walking Dead about her pancakes with lumps of flour in them?  Yeah, don't be the person that is remembered for their bad pancakes in the zombie apocalypse.  Blend that batter up.)



I make smaller pancakes, I can control them easier that way.  Flip when the sides start looking firm and golden.  This will make a lot of pancakes, but don't worry.  They freeze amazingly well.  Just take the left overs, place them on a lightly floured or greased cookie sheet in a single layer and place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.  Then you can take them out and throw them into a freezer bag.  The initial freeze on the cookie tray makes it so that they will not stick together and be one pancake clump in the bag, so you can pull them out and eat them one by one.  I just throw them into the toaster and bam!  2nd breakfast. 


I don't know about you, but my first pancake always comes out a little overdone, so I get to eat it right away.  Just a little drizzle of maple syrup and it's delicious.  And see how fluffy that is?  Dang.  These are good pancakes!  The kids devoured the rest so fast I couldn't get any other pictures.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment