Tuesday, October 21, 2014

sausage & potato soup

When the weather starts to change, all I want to do is hunker down in my snuggie and drink red wine.  Oh, and eat soup, lots and lots of soup.  Isn't soup just the snuggie of the food world?  Warm and comforting.   It's a hug in a bowl.

The other night I wanted soup, so I threw a bunch of stuff into a pot and called it dinner.  And it was GOOD.  Because soup is so forgiving.  You can throw almost anything together and it'll be magical.



I sauteed yukon gold potatoes, andouille sausage, garlic and red onions in a pot for a few minutes, until the onions started to get clear.  Don't let your garlic burn, please.  Then I added my spices and let them mingle with the hearty meat and veggies for just a few minutes.  Add them to your liking.  I added primarily parsley, but about a teaspoon or two of the oregano and sage.  Because I used dry spices they tend to be very potent so start small and bump it up as needed.  Then add chicken stock (about 2 to 3 cups, just eyeball it - when it looks like soup, you've added enough) and simmer for about 30 minutes.  You need those potatoes to soften up, and give away some of their starch to make this almost a stew.  Serve it with some toasted bread or a salad and there you have it, a snuggie in a bowl.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment